Tinjan has always been a significant Istrian border area throughout history. During the Middle Ages, it became one of the pillars of the estate of Majnard of Montenegro in Pazin, and together with the Pazin castle, it received a wedding bond under the rule of the counts of Gorizia. With them, the fortress of Tinjan protected the often attacked western border towards the estates of Patriarch Aquileia. In the same way, from 1374 until Napoleonic rule, it protected its new owners, the Habsburg imperial family, from the fiery border of Pazin County towards Venetian estates. Although it is a border town in itself, Tinjan has never been a secluded fortress, but on the other hand since 1587 it has been proclaimed a town that proudly and firmly adorns Istria to this day.
№496 in Cities of Croatia