It is located on the northern side of the Split peninsula, in the bay of Poljud in the Kastela Bay. The Archbishop of Split Pavao built the church of St. Mary of Poljud around 1020. From the middle of the 11th century, the church was managed by Benedictines from the monastery of St. Stephen The Franciscans were allowed to build a monastery next to the abandoned church in the 15th century, a cloister with a square tower in the western part was built in the 16th century as part of a defensive structure to protect the church and the monastery from Turkish attacks. Among other values in this extraordinary complex should be noted the altar polyptych, which is part of the oldest known depiction of Split, in the painting of the Venetian master Girolamo de Santa Croce from 1549, the city lies in the hands of its patron Saint Domnius. , whose character according to the Qur'an must not be depicted, in the painting of the Baroque painter Mihovil Luposignoli, as one of 39 theologians discussing the immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary.