Church of St. Elijah the Prophet


The history of the church and the treasury begins in 1548 when the prince of Zadar ceded to the Orthodox Greeks the existing medieval church of St. Elijah. In the period from the 16th to the 18th century, the church was taken over by Serbian Orthodox, and in 1773 it was demolished and a new one built. Over time, the church has amassed an incredible collection of artwork, most of which has icons, invaluable. Unfortunately during the Allied bombing in World War II, many icons perished, however a good portion of them have been preserved. In the Homeland War, in fear of theft, priests walled up the collection in a hidden place, where it remains hidden for 13 years. After the end of the war, the opening of the treasury and the restoration of the items began, which lasted for about 5 years. The treasury was opened to the public in 2013.

See more about Zadar

№43 of 54 places in Zadar
№1788 of 2178 places in Croatia
№13 of 13 Churches and cathedrals in Zadar
№213 of 290 Churches and cathedrals in Croatia



Place Location

Trg Serdara Stojana Jankovića 3, 23000, Zadar


(7 review)
very good!!!
In Zadar we found 54 places. Show results