An hour from Split and Dubrovnik, the town of Opuzen is located in a beautiful region of southern Dalmatia. It is named after the fortress "Fort Opus", built by the Republic of Venice in 1684. Part of its ruins remains to this day and tells the story of ancient times.
Located 12 kilometers upstream from the mouth of the Neretva River, Opuzen lies in a strategic position. As early as the 14th century, the Republic of Ragusa, a sovereign republic centered in the city of Dubrovnik, maintained the main markets for salt and other shops in this small city. Today, Opuzen, like many small towns in Croatia, loses a lot of young people emigrating to larger cities or going abroad. After years of studying or working outside the home, they often lack a reason or opportunity to return.
№350 in locations of Croatia