The name of this Istrian village was first mentioned in 1028 as Ayla, when it was submitted to the Patriarch of Aquileia. The whole coast was inhabited in Roman times, as evidenced by the remains of rustic villas, inscriptions, tombs, etc., and in the 6th century the first Christian basilica .In the 18th century it was abandoned for unknown reasons and came into the possession of the bishops of Novigrad who assigned it to the noble family Sabina.They built a fortress which, in the role of a castle, became the center of a large estate, but was later abandoned.The wealthy Counts of Koper Grisoni received the palace in 1738, as the Savina family was left without heirs. Three branches of the Grisoni family lived in Koper, but only the family of Count Santa, the father of Francesco in question, survived until the end of the 18th century. The rich Grisons were for more than half a century one of the most influential nobles of Koper, who left the city of Koper and Istria a great wealth and a significant cultural trace. After taking over the estate, in 1835, after a personal tragedy, Franceso Grisoni vowed to the Benedictines and it became a monastery again. It was in their possession until 1948, and from then until 1989 it served as a nursing home and almshouse.Today, this country complex is neglected, but in its basic elements a well-preserved architectural complex with a park, which is again owned by the church.
№217 in Cities of Croatia