The Church of Saint Blaise

4.0
Share
Save

Most of the small churches on the island of Vis cannot be precisely dated. The Church of Saint Blaise, or the Chapel of Saint Blaise, as it is sometimes referred to, is suspected to have been built in the 16th century. From the little that is known about the church, it seems that the pavement surrounding it was damaged and then repaired in the second half of the 17th century.

 

It is possible that the church itself didn’t have any repairs done on it. This does not come as a surprise, since the church is made almost entirely of stone and stone slabs. A small bell tower with a bell is perched on top of it, still functional today. The church is open on St. Blaise’s Day for mass and celebrations. Since St. Blaise is known as the saint protector of throats (due to a legend that says he once saved a young boy who had a fish bone stuck in his throat) the parishioners can have their throats blessed by the priest during the mass.

 

While the church is mostly closed during the rest of the year, it is still worth a visit. Sitting above the port of Komizha it is a part of one of the many hiking trails you can find on the island of Vis (specifically, the Komiža-Sv.Blaž-Dragodid-Rt.Barjaci trail) The climb is worth is for the view alone that extends all across the coast of Komizha.

 

See more about Island of Vis

№35 of 52 places in Island of Vis
№1947 of 2178 places in Croatia
№6 of 12 Churches and cathedrals in Island of Vis
№251 of 290 Churches and cathedrals in Croatia

Place Location

21485, Komiža

Reviews

4.0
(7 review)
Mateo
very good!!!
In Island of Vis we found 52 places. Show results