The Basilica of Saint John the Evangelist


Little remains of this Benedictine seminary, built in the 11th century by the Croatian king Petar Krešimir the 4th. The records found among the remains of the monastery tell us that the king gifted the Benedictines with the island of Zhirje and the Rogovo estate.

After only one century the seminary was raided by the Venetians during their conquest of Biograd in 1125. While the Benedictine monks survived and settled in the nearby town of Shibenik, the destruction of their monastery was total - only the foundations of the basilica remain to speak about its stormy past.

The site is located near the Heritage Museum and can be seen at any time.

See more about Biograd na moru

№10 of 11 places in Biograd na moru
№1669 of 2178 places in Croatia
№3 of 4 Churches and cathedrals in Biograd na moru
№176 of 290 Churches and cathedrals in Croatia

Guides in this place


(7 review)
very good!!!
In Biograd na moru we found 11 places. Show results