The church was built in 1059, and is the oldest church on the island next to which once stood the oldest Bednedictine monastery. The monastery was founded by the Bishop of Rab Drago, who in 1071 from Petar Krešimir IV. received permission to establish a monastery. The church was built as a three-nave basilica and has recently been restored. It is known as one of the best preserved Romanesque buildings on the east coast of the Adriatic. The church still has a Gothic bell tower, which is one of the oldest on the Croatian Adriatic coast. The bell was made in 1299 by Luke, a religious brother from Venice.