The naval lighthouse Vir was built in 1881 on the southwest coast of the island of Vir. This lighthouse is a typical example of large lighthouses that were built on the eastern Adriatic coast in the 19th century and is one of about 50 similar lighthouses built in that period. Until recent times and the automation of the lighthouse, it had a crew, that is, the lighthouse keepers lived with it on their families and performed their daily tasks in order for the lighthouse to function flawlessly. During the Second World War, anti-fascist fighters had their base in this lighthouse, maintaining a connection between partisan units on the mainland and on the island of Molat. The lighthouse was destroyed in retaliation in 1944 by German occupation forces. It was rebuilt after the war and put back into operation in 1950. Today there is no crew on it, and its operation is automated.