Fort Galisnik

5.0
Share
Save

This fort was built by the Austrians in 1831 as a complex consisting of barracks, two mooring sites, a water tank, ammunition depot and a battery with six cannons.

The ground floor was used to house about thirty soldiers at any given time, while the upper parts made a good observatory for monitoring the entire seaside of Hvar island. In 1836 a part of the fort doubled as a prison. The fort was first abandoned following the Battle of Vis in 1866 and was then used as a quarantine area.

During the last decades of the 19th century, a small lighthouse was built on the southern side of the island. The fort was used as a restaurant until recently, and has since been closed.

See more about Island of Galesnjak

№1 of 1 places in Island of Galesnjak
№1199 of 2178 places in Croatia
№1 of 1 Historic buildings in Island of Galesnjak
№75 of 177 Historic buildings in Croatia

Place Location

Galešnik

Reviews

5.0
(7 review)
Mateo
very good!!!
In Island of Galesnjak we found 1 places. Show results