Babino Polje is one of the oldest settlements on the island. The village is located at the foot of the hills of Veliki and Mali grad, and consists of three hamlets: Zadublje, Srčenovići and Zabriježe. It is about 4 kilometers long. Below the village is a spacious and fertile field. which gave the village its name.Nearby is the famous Ulysses Cave and Sutmiholj Bay with a beach.It is the central and still island place where the duke lived during the Dubrovnik Republic.During the XI. century the inhabitants built the first church dedicated to St. Pancras, the first patron saint of the island. The church was owned by the Benedictines from Lokrum in 1039. The village was founded by Roman Catholic parishes, but during the XI. century. Babino Polje became the administrative and ecclesiastical center of the whole island.
№130 in Cities of Croatia