The castle in Hum was first mentioned at the beginning of the 12th century. It was located on the site where today is the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is the highest elevation point, so from here it was easy to control the surrounding area. The castle was rectangular in shape, connected by two streets with two city gates. Its main purpose was defensive. It was often destroyed and rebuilt, and during the Uskok War (1612-1618) the entire town was burned and the castle was no longer rebuilt. The stones were used to build new houses.