Our Lady's Island

5.0
Share
Save

According to some sources, Our Lady's Island was the first settlement of Croats in this area. In the 10th century, on the site of today's church, Croatian Queen Jelena built two churches: that of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Stephen in which tombs of the queen's plaque were found. Jelena and Jelena's sarcophagus There were many elms on the island, so people called this church Our Lady of Brist , while the well located west of the church, whose water remained clean even after heavy rains, was called Our Lady well
Both churches of Jelena belong to the order of so-called double churches. According to medieval custom, kings were buried in the church where they were crowned, so it is assumed that the church of Our Lady of the Island was a coronation basilica. Today's church was built on the same site, approximately the same dimensions, where the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin is celebrated. In 1998, Pope John Paul II. He visited this shrine and held a mass for young people from Our Lady's Island.

See more about Solin

№4 of 10 places in Solin
№1543 of 2178 places in Croatia
№3 of 4 Ruins and archeological sites in Solin
№55 of 101 Ruins and archeological sites in Croatia

Guides in this place

Location

Solin

Place Location

21210, Solin

Reviews

5.0
(7 review)
Mateo
very good!!!
In Solin we found 10 places. Show results