The magnificent building of the University of Zadar on the Zadar waterfront was built in the early 20th century in the neoclassical style for the needs of the then Lyceum of St. Demetrius. The first university in Zadar was founded in 1396, while in 2002 it was rebuilt. The decorated and renovated chapel of St. Demetrius is one of the few examples of neoclassical construction in Dalmatia. It has a square floor plan over which rises a dome with a tambour, and the entire complex of buildings was built in the shape of the letter L, which closes the bastion of the Zadar Citadel on the south and west sides. The building of the University of Zadar is one of the most beautiful in Croatia, and before it became part of the renovated university, it was the center of the Faculty of Philosophy in Zadar.