Until recently, the islet of Shkoljich was connected to Vir and was an integral part of it during low tide. According to the idea of Shibenik engineer Fran Zavore, a versatile Dalmatian builder from 1811 to deepen Gaz, it was finally realized in 1904 when it started deepening between the islets of Shkoljich and the Privlaka peninsula. And all because of the shortening of the sea route from the Velebit Channel through Fortica to Zadar and ensuring safer navigation through this passage. After the deepening of this sea route, a signalization was set up for safer navigation. The signalization consisted of five large concrete blocks between the narrowest part in the Shkoljich area and two concrete blocks with bollards, at the exit from the canal, which are still preserved today.