It is over 600 years old. The first written mention of the Tuhelj parish is in the document of the Apostolic Court in Rome from October 21, 1402. In it, Judge Adam Usk states that in Tuhlje there is a "parish church of St. Mary of Tuhelj which has a bell tower, baptistery and cemetery". The oldest part of the parish church still has the features of Gothic architecture of the time. On one of the interior walls of the church there is a large bronze crucifix, a gift from the academic sculptor Antun Augustinchich to his friend the pastor Marcel Novak.