The remains of a former rectangular fortress are located on a high plateau about 250 meters from the beach. Fortica is considered to be the fort that during its active life was the most destroyed and rebuilt of all similar forts on the Adriatic. It dates back to 1251. For centuries it was destroyed by the Turks, Venetians, French, Spaniards, and the final restoration was completed in 1825. After the end of the wars, and the abolition of the Military Border, the fort lost its significance, and the state sold it to private ownership in 1885.