A recognizable symbol of the city of Rovinj is the beautiful City Palace with the old town hall. Behind the arch of Balbi is a small market, and in it a building with a distinctive dark red facade - it is today the Municipal Palace, once known as the Praetorian Palace. Its foundations date back to 1308. The oldest building was built in the 14th century, but later underwent serious changes. One part of the ground floor was occupied by the prison, while the large hall upstairs was occupied by the City Council and its archives and offices. The facade and atrium were reconstructed between 1850 and 1860, while in 1935 a series of coats of arms of Venetian and Rovinj families and the city coat of arms were placed there. Today, the City Palace and the old town hall represent the seat of the mayor and the city administration.