The Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Opatija, better known among the locals as the "Great Church" or the "German Church", is definitely one of the most beautiful parts of Opatija's panorama on Nova cesta. It has adorned Opatija for many years with its external beauty and imposingness.
This church in Opatija is built of Kastav stone, while the interior is dominated by granite and brick. Namely, the designs and preparations were entrusted to Carl Seidl, a Viennese student of Theophil Hansen, while the construction of the church began in 1906, with the simultaneous construction of the monastery. Next to the church, which is still not fully completed, is the monastery, which was taken over by the Jesuits in 1960.
The feast of the Annunciation (March 25) and the day of Our Lady of Lourdes (February 11) are most solemnly celebrated.