Church of St. Philip and James and the bell tower

5.0
Share
Save

The old church of St. Philip and James was built in the 14th century as a three-nave basilica. Later, in the 18th century, the church was baroqued. On the outer wall of the sanctuary, the year 1520 is carved on two stones, with a combination of Arabic and Roman numerals, and then with the Glagolitic alphabet - most likely as a memorial to the restoration or rebuilding of the church, because it is much older.In the church in front of the large altar is the tomb of the Bishop of Modrush, Kristofor Dubrovchanin, who with his chapter escaped from Modrush from the Ottomans and found his new refuge in Novi Vinodolski.Today, Novi Vinodolski is recognizable precisely by the view dominated by a tall, white bell tower.

See more about Novi Vinodolski

№17 of 24 places in Novi Vinodolski
№1355 of 2166 places in Croatia
№2 of 6 Churches and cathedrals in Novi Vinodolski
№119 of 290 Churches and cathedrals in Croatia

Place Location

Ul. Antona Mataije 18, 51250, Novi Vinodolski

Reviews

5.0
(7 review)
Mateo
very good!!!
In Novi Vinodolski we found 24 places. Show results