Church of St. Mary on the island of Kornat was built in the 6th century, and most probably served as a refuge for sailors who were waiting in this bay for more favorable conditions for navigation. It was large - about 20 meters long and 13 meters wide. To this day, only part of the foundations and an apse have been preserved. During the late Middle Ages, the church of Our Lady of the Visitation, also known as Our Lady of Tarca, was built in the main nave. About the importance of the church of St. Mary we also know from fact that the island was named after it for a long period in history.
№2 of 2 places in Kornati National Park
№1302 of 2047 places in Croatia
№2 of 2 Ruins and archeological sites in Kornati National Park
№69 of 87 Ruins and archeological sites in Croatia