Church of St. Christopher - Lapidary

4.0
Share
Save

City lapidary in the church of St. Christopher (14th century) preserves and exhibits a collection of stone monuments dating from the time of 2/3. by the end of the 18th century. Among the 162 objects, the most numerous are examples of decorative architectural plastic and stone interior equipment of the church and residential architecture of the town of Rab.

The exhibition chronologically shows the historical and stylistic changes of Rab architecture, which is illustrated by a frieze of photographs of the most famous medieval and early modern monuments and characteristic urban motifs.
The oldest exhibit is a figural Roman built-in relief, part of a tombstone from 2/3. The early Christian period is represented by a sarcophagus from the 6th century, and the early medieval period by fragments of stone liturgical furniture from the former church of St. Martin (9th century). Among the remains of the church of St. John the Evangelist (6th and 11th centuries), capitals with a motif of palmette and acanthus stand out. In the middle and in the second half of the 15th century, the sculptor and architect Andrija Aleši built several Gothic-Renaissance spatial-plastic units in Rab. Of these, the most preserved parts of the chapel of the Rab noble family Cernotta are in the Lapidary.

See more about Rab Island

№29 of 30 places in Rab Island
№1782 of 2166 places in Croatia
№9 of 9 Churches and cathedrals in Rab Island
№211 of 290 Churches and cathedrals in Croatia

Location

Rab Island

Place Location

Reviews

4.0
(7 review)
Mateo
very good!!!
In Rab Island we found 30 places. Show results