On the northern edge of the historic center of Varazhdin is the castle Old Town, which is dug from the city and surrounded by walls. There used to be cannons on the ramparts, and the walls are up to 2.5 m thick in places. Inside the Old Town there is a Renaissance aristocratic palace. Numerous owners have changed, adapting it to their needs and desires, and it has been constantly being built and upgraded from the 13th to the 19th century. Today, the Varazhdin City Museum is located throughout the Old Town. The Varazhdin City Museum was founded at the instigation of the Varazhdin Museum Society, and was ceremoniously opened to visitors in 1925, in only a few rooms of the Old Town. The original exhibition consisted of objects that arrived at the newly opened museum, mostly as donations from famous Varazhdin families.