Located on top of a hill near Buzet in Istria, Vrh is a tiny village consisting of only a few dozen houses, all flocked around the Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary. The church functions as a parish church and is the location of an important stone monument with a Glagolitic inscription dated to 1463 and a baptistery made in 1552. The church’s bell tower, built in 1904, offers a fantastic view of the peninsula, enveloping over one hundred and thirty towns, resorts, villages and churches in Istria, including the nearby Butoniga lake and the rivers Mirna and Butoniga. In the 16th century a part of Vrh and its surrounding area were covered with a large forest of oak and chestnut trees. Little of this forest remains today, but the area is now famous for its vineyards and olive groves that flourish here due to the mild and suitable climate.
№672 in Villages and settlements of Croatia