Bjelovar is a city in central Croatia. It is the administrative center of Bjelovar-Bilogora County. The city was first mentioned in 1413, and gained importance only when a new fortress was built there in 1756, by order of the Habsburg Empress Maria Theresa. The initial role of the city was to defend central Croatia from Ottoman invasions. The city had to wait until the end of these wars for Ban Ivan Mazhuranich to declare it a free royal city in 1874.
№80 in locations of Croatia